A settlement has been reached in the lawsuit against Volkswagen for claims that their diesel vehicles were equipped with “defeat devices” that misrepresented acceptable emission levels produced by the vehicles, as discussed in Pirl's report from November 2016 here.
The settlement includes a total fund pool of $10 billion.
Depending on a number of factors, owners and lessees of eligible vehicles will be able to receive one of the following under the Settlement:
· Vehicle Buyback
· Lease Termination or
· Approved Emissions Modification
In addition to the Vehicle Buyback or Approved Emissions Modification options offered in the settlement, owners are also entitled to an additional cash payment referred to as Owner Restitution. Owners will receive the same amount of cash whether they choose the Vehicle Buyback or Approved Emissions Modification.
Class Members who owned the car on or before Sept. 18, 2015, are entitled to 20 percent of the vehicle value plus an additional $2,986.73, with a minimum payout of at least $5,100.
Class Members who owned the car after Sept. 18, 2015, will receive a cash payment of 10 percent of the vehicle value plus $1,493.36, with a minimum payout of at least $2,550, plus additional funds based on the proportion of unclaimed available funds to be determined at a later date.
Lessees will be eligible for a no-cost Lease Termination and are eligible for a Lessee Restitution cash payment of 10 percent of the vehicle value plus $1,529.00. The cash payment is the same if a lessee chooses a Buyback or Approved Emissions Modification and includes individuals whether or not they have an active lease.
Eligible Vehicles under this claim:
· VW Beetle (2013 – 2015)
· VW Beetle Convertible (2013 – 2015)
· VW Golf (2010 – 2015)
· VW Golf SportWagen (2015)
· VW Jetta (2009 – 2015)
· VW Jetta SportWagen (2009 – 2014)
· VW Passat (2012 – 2015)
· Audi A3 (2010 – 2013; 2015)
To file a claim, you must provide the following information:
· Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
· Vehicle registration
· Vehicle title (owners with no lien)
· Lease contract (Lessees)
· Lender information and financial consent form (for loans and leases)
· Driver’s license (or other government-issued photo identification) and
· Name of your preferred dealership
Potential Awards after filing a claim:
· $5,100 or more cash payment plus Vehicle Buyback or Approved Emissions Modification for owners who had their vehicle on or before Sept. 18, 2015.
· $2,550 or more cash payment plus Vehicle Buyback or Approved Emissions Modification for owners who had their vehicle after Sept. 18, 2015.
· Lessees will be eligible for a no-cost Lease Termination and are eligible for a cash payment of 10 percent of the vehicle value plus $1,529.00.
· $2,550 or more cash payment for Eligible Sellers.
Claim deadline for current and lessees: 09/01/2018
For more information or comments please contact pirl at Info@mypirl.com
In Re: Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2762, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, San Francisco Division
In an additional update to Volkswagen’s Emission Cheat Settlement, U.S. District Court Judge Charles Breyer has signed off on Volkswagen’s plan to buyback/fix nearly 88,500 vehicles equipped with the 3.0-Liter TDI V6 engine. To read more about this new update and to apply for the benefits press here.