Sony Mobile Communications Inc. and Sony Electronics Inc. were sued for deceptively marketing their Xperia mobile devices as waterproof, when they are not!
The lawsuit was filed in April of 2017 and quickly settled 5 months later in August 2017 to avoid cost and risk of ongoing litigation.
The lawsuit claims that the Xperia waterproof devices are not waterproof and not designed for ordinary underwater use. Multiple reports of screens dying, phones locking, audio damage and an overall malfunction were reported. Sony denies all allegations.
The following Xperia devices are covered by the Sony class action settlement:
- Xperia M2 Aqua
- Xperia M4 Aqua
- Xperia ZR
- Xperia Z Ultra
- Xperia Z1
- Xperia Z1 Compact
- Xperia Z1s (T-Mobile)
- Xperia Z2
- Xperia Z3
- Xperia Z3 Compact
- Xperia Z3 (T-Mobile)
- Xperia Z3v (Verizon)
- Xperia Z3 Dual
- Xperia Z3+ Dual
- Xperia Z3+
- Xperia Z5
- Xperia Z5 Compact
- Xperia Z2 Tablet (WiFi)
- Xperia Z2 Tablet (LTE)
- Xperia Z2 Tablet (Verizon LTE)
- Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (WiFi)
- Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (LTE)
- Xperia Z4 Tablet (WiFi)
- Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE)
Sony has agreed to provide the following benefits to eligible Class Members:
- Claim Reimbursement: Class Members who had claims for water-related damage denied by Sony for warranty coverage will receive a check for 50 percent of the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the mobile device.
- Warranty Extension Program: Sony has agreed to extend the limited warranty for damage caused by water intrusion by an additional 12 months for mobile devices with a warranty that was effective as of Aug. 3, 2017, or an additional six months for mobile devices that were out-of-warranty as of Aug. 3, 2017.
- Advertising Changes: Sony has agreed to make changes to the use of the terms “water proof,” “water resistance,” and similar terms in the advertising of the Xperia devices.
Deadline to File a claim is January 30, 2018!
For more information, please contact us at Info@MyPirl.com