The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has recalled the popular widely used blood pressure drug Valsartan due to cancer causing chemicals in the ingredients. The chemical N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) was found present in the brand name and generic versions of Valsartan which causes cancer.
According to the FDA, “The presence of NDMA was unexpected and is thought to be related to changes in the way the active substance was manufactured.”
The following Valsartan Drugs, found in pill form, are manufactured and recalled around the globe:
- Valsartan – Prinston – Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Valsartan – AvKARE
- Valsartan – A-S Medication Solutions LLC
- Valsartan – Bryant Ranch Prepack Inc.
- Valsartan – HJ Harkins Company
- Valsartan – Major Pharmaceuticals
- Valsartan – Solco Healthcare
- Valsartan – Northwind Pharmaceuticals
- Valsartan – Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Proficient Rx LP
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Remedy Repack
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Solco Healthcare
- Valsartan/Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) – Teva Pharmaceuticals Injustries Ltd.
The FDA has advised individuals to contact their healthcare providers – both the doctor and the pharmacist who prescribed and dispensed the medication. In addition, they advised to follow the recalled medication instructions provided by the specific company, found here.
For more information call us at (650) 762-8545 or fill out a form below!
*A VITAL NOTE FROM THE PIRL TEAM: As we report on any medical product/medication case - NEVER STOP OR ALTER A MEDICAL PROGRAM OR COURSE OF MEDICATION WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR(S) OR A PHYSICIAN.*