Approval of class action settlement for all Facebook users who are or were minor children according to Facebook’s own records for the four years preceding the date on which the original complaint was filed through the date on which a class is certified (‘the Minor Class’); Within the Minor Class is a subclass of Minors from whose Facebook accounts Facebook Credits were purchased. You could receive an Incentive Award Payment pursuant to the settlement Agreement. The US district court for the northern district of California on May 26 2016 ruled Facebook must provide refunds for purchases made in apps and games by children should they or their parents request it.
FB is encouraged to:
· Facebook’s refund practices and policies with respect to U.S. Minors will comply with the California Family Code.
· Facebook will include language in substantially the following form in its Community Payments Terms applicable to U.S. minor users.
· Facebook will include language in substantially the following form in the Developer Payments Terms applicable to U.S. developers.
· Facebook will add to its refund request form for In-App Purchases for U.S. users a checkbox or substantially similar functionality with accompanying text such that users are able to indicate that the In-App Purchases for which they are seeking a refund was made when the user was a minor.
· Facebook will implement a dedicated queue within Facebook to address refund requests in In-App Purchases, made by U.S. Minors subject to verification of minority. The employees staffing the dedicated queue will receive further training regarding how to analyze and process such refund requests in accordance with applicable law.
· Subject to regulatory approval in certain states, Facebook will include language similar to the following draft proposal in (a) the email receipt for transactions for U.S. Minors and (b) refund confirmation emails sent to U.S. Minors: “Please always make sure you have your parent or guardian’s consent to use their payment sources.” Facebook will include an HTML link to the Community Payments Terms in the foregoing email confirmations.
· Facebook will emphasize the following language in the Community Payments Terms, by bolding and putting a box around the text, or by a substantially similar method: If you are under the age of eighteen (18), you may use Facebook Payments only with the involvement of your parent or guardian. Make sure you review these Terms with your parent or guardian so that you both understand all of your rights and responsibilities.
The injunction listed above shall be in effect for three (3) years from the Final Settlement Date.
If you have been charged for virtual items bought from a Facebook account belonging to someone 17 or younger, you may be entitled to a refund. To request your money back you can head over to Facebook Payments Support by Clicking on the Button below and follow the instructions to dispute the charges.
Deadline: May 26, 2019